The unexamined life is not worth living— Socrates
We live by feelings and are driven by emotions. Emotional wellness is an important area of our health. Being aware of our feelings and able to manage them helps us maintain health and well-being
Emotions are simply energy in motion. We can allow it to flow through us at any given moment without judgment, labels or analysis of being negative or positive or we can label and judge it to fit with our world view. The meaning we give to feelings affects our mood and emotional wellness.
By labelling feeling as good or bad we create a corresponding mood that results in a desirable or undesirable action or habit.
Lack of awareness of emotional wellness can lead to a life of routine by default. This is a survival mode lacking abundance in any area.
Emotional wellness is a decision and a choice, a decision to take responsibility for your feelings and corresponding actions rather than venting angry feelings on undeserving persons.
It is also a choice to take care of your emotional health and well-being. Both call for the examination of life and daily living.
By examining your life you learn more about yourself and the issues of the heart that precipitate different feelings and how you respond or react to them.
This creates awareness and a chance to correct action, behaviour or habit that does not serve you. For example by dwelling on the past, repressed and suppressed thoughts and emotions surface and like a dark cloud throw a wet blanket over current mood. Things you regret add to the mood resulting in sadness, anger or frustration.
Similarly by thinking about the future without a constructive purpose of creating or building something desired, you imagine a fantasy world as you compare your life with others and come short.
These cause emotions to erupt and change current mood. Either way you miss out on the moment fighting with emotions. Thus awareness of issues in your life and the emotions they invoke is a key to living in abundance.
How to gain emotional wellness
- Become aware of and accept your feelings as energy in motion
- Let energy flow and go where it will while you remain centred
- Keep an emotional journal to learn from
- Choose to feel appreciative and enthusiastic about yourself and life
- Manage your feelings and actions while working on current limitations and challenges
- Spend time with those who support, encourage and uplift you
- Learn to smile often no matter how things look
- Take a stress management class
- Build your self-esteem and have fun
- See yourself as worthwhile and valuable
- Be encouraged that tough times, like dark clouds, don’t last
- Keep a gratitude journal to remind you of how far you’ve come
- Practice meditation to centre yourself and clear the mind
- Take up yoga to cope with daily stress
These simple steps will enable you to manage your emotions and cope effectively with daily stress.
Emotional wellness enables you align yourself with the high frequency of the universe needed for abundance living. This frequency is living with optimism, enthusiasm, love, forgiveness, joy, inner peace, compassion and kindness.
At this frequency, you’ll maintain satisfying relationships and attract the health, wealth and happiness you deserve. Life becomes an exciting, hopeful adventure of fun.
Mabel Joshua-Amadi, Ph.D is an inspirational speaker and the Author of a new book, The Power of Attitude, (Filament Publishing, 2011). She is also a consultant in building lasting confidence and strategies for success. Her blog posts that include tools and techniques for improving attitude can be found at http://.www.DoctorJoshuaamadi.com. Follow her on Twitter at @JoshuaamadiM